- A...Town of Montgomery
- B...Montgomery County C.S.A.
- C...First Secretary of State
- D...Old Montgomery Community Well Site
- E...The Railroad in Montgomery
- F...Reuben Jonathan Palmer
- G...William S. Taylor
- H...John M. Wade
- I...New Montgomery Cemetery
- J...Old Montgomery Cemetery
- K...Old Sneed Cotton Gin & Grist Mill
- L...Home of Dr. Charles Stewart
- M...The Old Community Center
- N...Cedar Brake Park
- O...Fernland Park
- P...Memory Park
936-597-4360 Built while Texas was still a Republic (1845),
serving also as living quarters for Mr. Davis until 1851 when
he married and built a log house next door.
14264 Liberty. Nathaniel Hart Davis built
the original section in 1851of logs cut in 1831 and received
in payment of a legal fee. The south wing was added in 1895
and contains wood-graining done by a German itinerant
carver known as “Mr. Patch”.
14264 Liberty. Built in the 1880’s in
Willis, used by Screven A. McCall while he was lawyer, District
Attorney, County and District Judge in Montgomery County.
14343 Liberty. One
of the first state banks in Texas, it was chartered Dec.11,
1906. The present building was completed in 1908. This bank
served this cotton-farming area until voluntary liquidation in
1934 and remains the oldest existing commercial building in
this once thriving trade center. Now home to PETZ.
Previously Smith’s “Drug Store”, and from 1936-1972, the
U.S. Post Office. Now home to Nathalie’s Jeweler.
this building replaced original
structure after fire in 1920. Used as Berkley Grocery and
Weisinger Washateria, it is now home to Liberty Bell
21012 Eva Street. School for
black students in Dobbin until 1965, moved to Montgomery
301 Pond St. The Baptist Church in
Montgomery was organized Dec. 28, 1850 with 31 charter
members. This building was completed in March 1902 and
for the next 77 years, was used as the place of worship for
the Baptists in Montgomery.
309 Pond St. Organized
by Littleton Fowler Dec. 1838, original congregation
administered by “Circuit Rider”. Present building completed
1908, and stands on site of first Protestant parsonage iin
Texas (1842). Now home to Living Savior Lutheran Church.
770 Clepper Street. Built in
1845 by Dr. E.J. Arnold. It is of typical cottage construction
with dentil trim, wide hall and wainscoting. Listed in National
Register of Historic Places.
770 Clepper Street. A unique
collection of historic log cabins and frontier homes.
(Corner Prairie & Caroline Streets).
Originally part of Brantley Settlement 8 miles southeast of
Montgomery on Old Montgomery Road (FM 2854). Now
home to Julia Wall, M.Ed., Licensed Professional Counselor.
104 Prairie Street. Built in 1892 for
J.B. and Martha Davis Addison, Martha Gandy’s grandparents.
Hearthstones are hand-cut, native sandstone with mantles and
doors woodgrained by a German itinerant carver known only
as “Mr. Patch,” who signed his work with his portrait.
St. Founded in 1865 when slaves were freed. The original
building was rebuilt under the leadership of Rev. J.E. Starks
with help from the community.
St. Oganized September, 1865 by Rev. C.L. McPherson Sr.
Services were held in a brush arbor until a church was built in
1897. Services were held there for over eighty years. A new
church was erected in September, 1979.
Martin Luther King (Bethel
Rd.).Was organized in 1897 in the Dupree School building
near the present church site. The original building was
erected in 1898. This building was replaced in 1982 by
current church building.
FM 1097 near N.
Liberty. Founded circa 1865, approximately ten acres were
set aside for the African American community for burials
after the Civil War.
CB Stewart Drive at Clepper. Erected
in 1950, was part of the city’s earliest water system until
1970, when a well was drilled on Pond Street.
504 Caroline. Built in 1850’s for Dr. Bell,
brother of Judge Bell, owner of Bell’s Grove. Its walls are
hand-hewn and joined with square nails and rests on long
602 Caroline. Built in 1908 by W.C.
Whitehead, who came to the Montgomery area to develop
a town nearby called Social Circle. This post-Victorian
structure features a porch cupola and remains virtually
unchanged in appearance.
902 Caroline. The first Baptist Parsonage
in Montgomery was built next to the Baptist Church on Pond
Street in 1909.
315 Caroline. Built circa 1890,
it became the home of Vol and Florence Burden Rabon. In
1937, Rabon heirs sold to the Horace Fullen family. Now
home to Garrett House Antiques.
708 Caroline. A Texas Greek Revival Structure,
it was built by John E. Shelton and sold to Judge Henry R. Bell
in 1855. The name Bell’s Grove came from the once wooded
adjoining area; the scene of political rallies and conventions.
811 Caroline. Site purchased by
John E. Shelton in 1855. He built main portion of house in 1858
for Capt. Thomas W. Smith, whose family owned it until 1924.
816 Caroline. Built circa
1900 for William B. and Anna Griffith Gay, with a two-story
sleeping porch added in the 1920’s.
705 College. Built in the
1860’s. The first Protestant parsonage in Texas (1842) was
destroyed and in 1886, the church bought this home to use
as their second parsonage. The west wing, a pre-Civil War
house was moved from Willis and added in 1977.
708 College. Built in 1895
by Ilai C. and Ida Morris Davis, of native pine lumber from
709 College. Was home of first fulltime
pastor of Montgomery Baptist Church, Rev. Thomas
Chilton, until his death in 1854. The picket fence was built
in 1890’s by David Dean, from heart pine cut at his mill.
801 College. Home of Anna Davis Weisinger
family, was built for the P.J. Willis family by John E. Shelton
in 1854, and purchased by Ilai C. Davis in 1868 complete
902 College. Built in 1856 by
A.W. Morris. Morris was a former Montgomery County
Sheriff (1856-1861) and Tax Assessor (1864-1866). The
foundation under the original two rooms was made of
hand-hewn beams with wooden pegs.
905 College. Built in early 1900’s
as a one-room board and batten house in Richards, other
rooms were added over the years.
907 College. (Circa 1907).
Originally built on Liberty Street, it has housed a post
office, café, and barbershop through the years.
415 Houston. A Victorian
“gingerbread” cottage built in 1893 for Dr. Henry and
Cherrie Dean Waters, it remained the home of their
daughter, Lockett (Mrs.W.B.) Wood until the 1970’s.
623 Old Plantersville
Rd. Built in late 1880’s for the Richard Hardesty family,
it was used as a boarding house for the employees who
worked in their sawmill and timber industry.
202 Prairie Street. Built in 1876 for Nat
Hart Davis by craftsman John Bishop from plans drawn by
Thomas Godden. Now home to The Oaks of Montgomery.
300 Prairie Street. Built in 1854 for Richard S.
Willis, it was named for his home back East. It has been
occupied by leading citizens of Montgomery, including
the Phil H. Berkley family and Dr. John L. Irion. It was the
birthplace of Gray I. Morris, grandson of Dr. Irion who
was one of the founders of the American Legion. Now
home to Hodge Podge Lodge.
303 Mason. Built in 1887 by William
Baker Wood and wife, Amelia Davis Wood. A typical
modified Victorian mansion, it is built with square nails
and remains relatively unchanged except for attaching
the kitchen wing. The Wood’s maiden daughter Valda
inherited the home and lived there until her death in
1999 at the age of 102.
411 Pond. Built in
1890 adjacent to Santa Fe depot by Solon and Susie Gary
Campbell. Because of its location near the depot, corpses
shipped to Montgomery were often put in the hallway
while awaiting burial.
Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/07/7102607/html/montgomery/historyw.php:8) in /home/content/07/7102607/html/montgomery/include/frmcontact.php on line 2
Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/content/07/7102607/html/montgomery/historyw.php:8) in /home/content/07/7102607/html/montgomery/include/frmcontact.php on line 2